Large Foam Pillow Bowen Road

emmavic
Thanks to one of the families who provided us with off-cut pieces of foam we were able to create a large foam pillow. This is something that the whole centre uses in different ways. The Fletcher Room (0-1) decided that it would be a great opportunity to incorporate some gross motor into their indoor environment. It allows those children who are crawling an opportunity to develop stronger crawling/climbing skills as they are required to use a range of muscles to pull themselves up and over the cushion as well as balance. For those children who are walking it allows them to walk across it developing their balancing skills also. It also allows the children to jump onto it in a safe environment as educators sit around the cushion providing support when required.

Re: Large Foam Pillow Bowen Road

Kathy
I noticed this at LGT Bowen Road last week, the younger children were engaged crawling over, jumping on, bouncing up and down the children and educators seems to enjoy the new experience.   a simple and inexpensive  experience yet  so adaptable and versatile for this  age group.
 A simple way to incorporate  gross motor experiences  to the children.

Re: Large Foam Pillow Bowen Road

mep948
What a great way to use recycled foam- very impressive. With the weather so unpredictable at the moment, having more options to promote gross motor indoors is very important. These large foam pillows definitely provide a safe environment for children to jump onto. This would be a great idea for other services to adapt. I'm sure if services approached a local business that may have off cuts of foam, they would be happy to donate this material to you.

Thanks for sharing this innovative idea.