Traffic light system- guiding healthy lunch boxes

Traffic light system- guiding healthy lunch boxes

mep948
In the live chat sessions this week I talked about the traffic light system. The aim of this system is to help inform families (and edupcatrs) about what foods can be promoted as everyday foods, sometimes foods and foods that are not suitable for childcare services, lunch boxes and canteens. I have attached a small clip that explains how foods are categorized into green, orange and red. I must say I find this system very helpful when teaching my own children about healthy choices. It is also helpful to families as it explains what the nutritional information on packaging actually means.

Some useful websites include;

http://heas.health.vic.gov.au/healthy-choices/guidelines/traffic-light-system
The traffic light system in schools- http://www.education.act.gov.au/teaching_and_learning/food-and-drink-guidelines/the-traffic-light-system-in-schools-factsheet
 healthy eating poster (for canteens but still a good resource) - http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/5FFB6A30ECEE9321CA257BF0001DAB17/$File/Poster-Healthy%20kids%20need%20healthy%20canteens.pdf

There is even an app called 'Traffic light food tracker' app